Thursday, October 22, 2009

Allegory

Okay, stay with me. This is going to be really convoluted. But I am trying to arrive at something here. I am trying to make something work in my mind for the Digital story assignment #2. So, somewhere I read an interview with Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame. Ever see any of his movies? Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, Lost in La Mancha? He cited as one of his influences, well 2 of his influences, Pieter Breughel and Hieronymous Bosch. Familiar with their work? Heavy on the allegory. I saw the Bosch at the Prado in Madrid, weird intricate paintings full of social commentary on sin and such. Same with Breugel's early work, although not as heavy-handed, he still painted with an eye to figurative reference. The Grim reaper is allegorical, as it represents death.

So I got to thinking about allegory, and I had the opportunity last week to do jury duty at the Essex County Courthouse. I was lucky enough to be sent to the Absolutely beautiful Historic Courthouse I was not thrilled with having Jury duty, but it afforded me to things. Time to think and the opportunity to see the beautiful EH Blashfield murals that had lovely allegorical paintings about wisdom, knowledge, justice, etc. Again, more allegory. More representational figures that are more than they seem. So now I'm challenged to think about what I can do along the lines of allegory. Like the Keats thing, Beauty is Truth, truth beauty. Or the Platonic thing about the universal...

I'm not sure where to go with this. Although I am reminded of the little tale of the wind and the sun, upon seeing a man with a heavy coat on, begin to debate who could get him to remove the coat. Short story shorter, the sun wins. Much gentler. Still thinking. Will continue this thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment